Friday, September 10, 2010

Start With a Bucket...

If you want to begin to understand our Brothers and Sisters around the world, I suggest you start with a bucket and some laundry soap.  I am presenting a challenge to each of you, which I hope you will take seriously.  I would love to hear comments about what you learn during this experience.    
First, wait until afternoon, when the sun is still high and there is little shade.  Then pile up, on the lawn, one week’s worth of your own dirty laundry, including at least one pair of socks that started out white but are now heavily soiled with dirt, a pair of jeans, one large bed sheet, and one heavy bath towel.  
Fill your bucket with cold water and some laundry soap.  Stuff as many items into the bucket as you can, then one by one, pull them to the top of the bucket and scrub them.  The proper Tanzanian way to scrub is to start at one end and work your way down, grabbing fabric in both hands and rubbing it briskly together in the suds.  
You must bend over at the waist to reach the bucket, no fair cheating with a chair or stool.  However, if you are a mzungu, you can stand up once in awhile, or squat with bent knees, just to keep yourself from passing out.  
After each piece is sufficiently scrubbed, squeeze the soapy water out of it, and put it in another pile awaiting a rinse.  Take note that sufficient scrubbing involves returning once-white socks to their original color.  I can tell you from experience that it is harder than it looks.  And if you cheat, everyone will know what a poor washer you are by noting your still dirty socks hanging on the laundry line in front of your house.  
Once all the pieces are scrubbed, empty out your bucket and fill it with clean rinse water.  Rinse each piece thoroughly, then wring it out and hang it over a laundry line to dry.  From experience I can also tell you that double rinsing works best, or else you’ll end up with jeans and undergarments that chafe.  
While you work, sing praise songs about how thankful you are.  Keep at this for two straight hours without taking a break.  If you finish your laundry pile before the two hours are up, go ask a neighbor if you can help them with some of their laundry.  When you are done, stand up straight and smile broadly.  
In class this morning, we learned about the spiritual discipline of practicing the presence of God throughout the day.  In the presence of God, even menial tasks can become an act of worship.     
Psalm 16
Keep me safe, O God, for I have come to you for refuge.
I said to the Lord, “You are my Master! 
All the good things I have are from you.”
The godly people in the land are my true heroes!  
I take pleasure in them!
Those who chase after other gods will be filled with sorrow.
I will not take part in their sacrifices, 
or even speak the names of their gods.
Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!
I will bless the Lord who guides me; 
Even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is filled with joy, 
and my mouth shouts His praises!
My body rests in safety, 
for you will not leave my soul among the dead,
Or allow your godly one to rot in the grave.
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasure of living with you forever.
   
     

6 comments:

  1. Never be sorry for sharing your experiences. It is such an encouragement to hear all that you are learning and it helps put our lives in perspective. We love you and miss you but we also know that God is worker in your lives in a wonderful way. Diane Midkiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least." - Interview with God (Johann) Amy, your blog entry reminds me to live more simply, with more gratitude. (And look for a REALLY big bucket for my laundry!) Thank you...
    Patti Hoffer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Thanks so much for letting us be a small part of your big adventure! I want to know where you got "clean" water to rinse with? ;) -Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, we love reading about what God is revealing to you! Don't apologize and keep sharing lots. I now know that I would be wearing gray socks all the time!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, You probably wouldn't believe how encouraging this is to us.I need to worship better as I do my menial tasks.
    Thanks. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! Thanks for sharing your life. Do they have any washboards? Ruth Cox

    ReplyDelete