Tuesday, July 6, 2010

With This Cup...

We have been in Dallas, Texas for two weeks, doing some missionary training with Pioneer Bible Translators.  In Bush Mechanics, we learned how to properly sanitize a daily water supply, build a home with a composting toilet, and harness the sun's energy to cook food without electricity or fuel.  In our Primary Health Care course, we learned that because we were born and educated in America, the nationals in Kenya will view us as being capable of helping with their medical needs, and we need to be prepared to minister to them in this way.  Thus, through the experiences of three amazing missionary nurses, we have learned that swimming in a dam can introduce parasitic snails to your body; walking barefoot in red clay soil can cause elephantiasis; and when someone shows up on your porch with their intestines in their hands, you should suture through all three layers of muscle, fat, and skin.  We have learned that if someone smells like stale beer, they may have tuberculosis; and if they smell like fresh bread, they may have enteric fever.  While all of this has been incredibly interesting, it has also caused us to stop and think, "What exactly have we signed up for??"

Last Sunday, as I sat in church preparing my heart for communion, I realized that taking the bread and the wine is not just a weekly reminder of who Jesus is and what He has done for us.  It is also an opportunity to renew our own personal commitment to sharing not only in the blessings of a life with Him, but also in the inherent sufferings.  It is an act similar to the giving of the rings in a marriage.  "With this ring, I thee wed..."  Our wedding vows are a public proclamation that we commit ourselves to our spouses for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health.  The act of communion is much the same.  With it, we accept whatever cup we may be given as we walk with Jesus.  Sometimes the cup will be sweet.  Sometimes it will be bitter.  But it will always overflow with His mercy and love.

When I become overwhelmed with fear about moving my family to Kenya, I remind myself that God has called us to do this, and the safest place to be is in the center of His will.  We know He may not protect us from every physical danger, but He will protect us spiritually.

"Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him; and the Lord protects him and keeps him alive.  He is called blessed in the land; you do not give him up to the will of his enemies." Psalm 41:1-2

God has continued to orchestrate His plan for our lives.  We have recently received our acceptance letter into the Discipleship Training School with YWAM (Youth With a Mission), which begins on September 6 in Arusha, Tanzania.  In accordance with our agreement with our Missions Committee, we need to have raised 100% of our funds in cash and pledges before we go.  We are currently at 74%, and praying for some new pledge cards to be in the mail when we return home!   If we do not have 90% of our funds by the time we would need to buy airline tickets (around the first week of August), we will need to  postpone our training.  This will be further confirmation of God's plan and timing, as we wait to see when He brings in the needed funds.

We also have had a very dear woman volunteer to accompany us to Tanzania for the first 12 weeks of training, to assist with our children while Jason and I are in classes!  This is a HUGE answer to prayer!!  I will wait to announce who this is, because I do not yet know if she has had the opportunity to share this information with her own family :-)  

Thank you all for your many prayers and words of encouragement.  So many of you have given your time, skills and money to help us in this mission.  May the Lord reward you for your sacrifices.  I love the story in I Samuel 30, ending in verses 23-25:

"For as his share is who goes down into the battle, so shall his share be who stays by the baggage. They shall share alike." And he (David) made it a statute and a rule for Israel from that day forward to this day.

Blessings on you, Dear Friends and Partners, as we all share together in the reward for serving the orphans in Kenya!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your post, Amy! Our church supports the Hoovers with Pioneer Bible Translators serving in Guinea and the Overlins who support missionaries throughout the world. Becky is a nurse and shared a slide show of training missionaries that sounded very much like your curriculum experiences.
    I wish I was independently wealthy and your family would be DONE with this goal. However, the Lord has a different plan. I'll pass the information along about your deadline -- I KNOW you're supposed to be in training, so God will work through this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are amazing people and I know that God will work (and is working) powerfully through you. I am so glad we got to meet! I look forward to following your journey.

    See you in Tanzania

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I just finally got around to reading this! I'm so excited for you guys for getting excepted to the DTS and all your crazy medical adventures. I'll be more willing to do crazy stuff next year now I know that nurse Amy and Nurse Jason can patch me up :)
    It looks like everything is coming together beautifully and I'm so happy for you guys!
    I mean, I've known that you were going to Kenya since 2007, but it's really happening now, isn't it? AH!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, Bev Cook here (Deb's staff person) - please send me picture of boy's shorts as I am having my ESL sewing class make little dresses and boys shorts to send you. bbcook@msn.com

    ReplyDelete