Monday, November 8, 2010

Gift Exchange

God Provides.  Early last week, I had a feeling this was going to be my personal theme for the week.  But even as I wrote these words in my journal, I had no idea how He was going to reveal Himself in this way just a few days later.
Jason’s 40th birthday was last Saturday, November 6.  Before we left the United States, we had made the decision to take some money out of savings so we could have a special safari day while Myrtlemay was still in Africa with us.  As a surprise to Jason, I had scheduled a safari to Tarangire National Park for the day of his birthday.  On the Wednesday prior to his birthday, I sent an email to the safari company to confirm our reservation. Even though I had already pre-paid  and had exchanged several emails discussing the date and details, I got an email back the following day indicating we’d had a miscommunication and we were not, in fact, booked to go on the safari.  I was extremely upset because I really wanted Jason’s 40th to be very special.  But as I cried, I also felt a pang of guilt, because I was crying over losing an expensive day of frivolous luxury, when many of our classmates have not been able to pay their school fees.  
As I was struggling with this, our friend Annie approached and asked what was wrong.  Annie was planning to go with us on the safari, so I shared my disappointing news.  Much to my surprise, she got a huge grin on her face when I told her the safari plans had fallen through!  She went on to explain that a few weeks earlier, she had felt God was asking her to sacrifice her safari day in order to help a fellow student with school fees.  Annie had been fighting it because she really wanted to go with us on the safari.  She had been praying about it, but reluctantly.  Then, a fellow student approached her and specifically asked her to help pay for school fees.  Faithfully, Annie laid her safari down before God, and asked God for a clear sign that she was not supposed to go.  My news about the safari was indeed the answer from God that Annie had asked for.  She was suddenly joyful about making that sacrifice because God had been so clear in His response.  
I was glad Annie had gotten her confirmation; however I was still disappointed that my plans were falling through.  I was then encouraged by Naomi, another wise and faithful friend.  Naomi believed that God had something better in mind for Jason’s birthday, so she encouraged my to stop crying and start praying for creative ideas.  We prayed together, and then I started my research on outings in the Arusha area.  
I soon found out about Arusha National Park, where you can do your own drive-through safari for much less cost than Tarangire.  I talked to our base leader, John, about the possibility of getting a YWAM vehicle and a driver to take us to ANP on Saturday.  On Friday night, I found out that John had found us a van and a driver for early the next morning!  
I figured out all the costs involved and realized we could use the money we had designated for the Tarangire safari to spend the day at ANP.  In addition, we could bless Annie and two other friends by paying their way to go with us....and still have quite a bit of money left over to help with school fees!  I knew then that God was revealing Himself to us (again!) as our Provider, and that Saturday was going to be wonderful...
And oh, how it was!  In addition to a driving safari, we took a walking safari with a  personal guide (who carried a rifle...just in case), during which we got caught in our first Tanzanian torrential downpour.  It was great fun huddling up under a gargantuan tree eating shortbread cookies, waiting for the rain to pass.  After getting drenched under the tree, we decided the rain wasn’t going to pass anytime soon, so we went back to the vehicle and headed to a restaurant for a yummy lunch.  While we were eating, the sun came back out to top off our afternoon with views of gorgeous scenery and many of God’s beautiful creatures.    We had an incredible day and sang worship songs all the way home!  Glory be to God!
“God loves the person who gives cheerfully (like Annie!).  God will generously provide all you need.  Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.” 2 Corinthians 9:7-8
          

3 comments:

  1. Amy -- THANK YOU for your open observations of your decisions and God's plans. This reminds me of Paul and Silas in the book of ACTS. They "wanted" to go to Asia Minor. God planned for them to go to Macedonia.
    A hearfelt THANK YOU for sharing how God and His Spirit are alive and working in our lives TODAY! Happy Birthday to you, too!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is a confirmation that we need to pray about our "plans" in February! Love ya, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, Thanks for reminding us that our priorities are not necessarily God's. If we are faithful to Him, we will see His blessings overflow. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete